History was made on the 19th of July 2017 when the Black Minority Ethnic Community Association was constituted and is now in an independent position to develop and deliver projects for BME communities.
The Neath Port Talbot BME Community Association’s executive committee comprises of 10 members namely Farida Patel (Chairperson), Shahjahan Mohammed (Vice Chairperson), Mohammed Usman (Treasurer), Cllr Saifur Rahaman (Secretary), Cllr Doreen Jones, Cllr Des Davies, Rizwan Shams, Ashra Khanum, Ziaur Rahaman and officer Mavis Thompson (South Wales Police).
The purpose of the Neath Port Talbot Black Minority Ethnic Community Association are:
- To promote equality and diversity for the benefit of the public, in particular, but not exclusively in Neath Port Talbot by:
- developing the capacity and skills of members of ethnic minority communities in such a way that they are better able to identify, and help meet their needs and participate more fully in society;
- advancing education in equality and diversity and celebrating cultural diversity.
- To promote racial harmony and integration for the public benefit, in particular but not exclusively in Neath Port Talbot, by promoting good race relations and the elimination of racial discrimination.
- To empower members of the BME community and enable them to be part of wider society.
- To provide a voice and be representative of BME communities in Neath Port Talbot.